HBO Max Cancels ‘Gossip Girl’ Reboot After Two Seasons
Kindly Share this Post
The Gossip Girl revival debuted in 2021 to great acclaim; at the time, HBO Max reported that it was the most-watched original series debut on its platform. Late in 2022, the second season began with little fanfare.
‘Gossip Girl’ reboot canceled by HBO Max after 2 seasons. pic.twitter.com/20ZBxa0JaD— Pop Crave (@PopCrave) January 19, 2023
Lead actors like Blake Lively, Leighton Meester, and Penn Badgley became teen celebrities after the first Gossip Girl, which debuted on the CW in 2007, went on to win numerous awards. The relaunch, which is set in the same universe as the original program, also included more inclusive stories and a new, more diverse cast. “Gossip Girl was how life was perceived back then. The lead actress Whitney Peak earlier admitted to ELLE that this version “is very much accurate to this time.”
#GossipGirl canceled before a fake cousin showing up, a dead but not so dead parent, julien killing a man, or getting drugged and comitted, a fashion line by a minor, a paris episode,a flashback episode, audrey marrying a prince or traded for a hotel…pic.twitter.com/HNDmEyrNvI— kenny (@fairestonland) January 19, 2023
For fans, the previous two seasons featured a few Easter eggs and appearances for figures like Nelly Yuki and Georgina Sparks (played by Michelle Trachtenberg) (Yin Chang). Even still, Jordan Alexander, who plays the lead character, said she could “fully understand” why some ardent original fans were critical of the reincarnation.
I can understand why people would wish to protect nostalgia since there is nothing quite like it; it is just a really, really pleasant feeling. But I would suggest that none of your nostalgia will be stolen by this,” she had previously told ELLE.
You can still very much watch the original Gossip Girl and then enjoy this new episode or the following era, she continued. It combines both everything you liked about the original show and brand-new material.